[LMB] This is a test

Helen Fenton hifenton at internode.on.net
Mon Sep 4 00:41:01 BST 2017

> On 4 Sep 2017, at 8:13 AM, Fred Smith <fredex at fcshome.stoneham.ma.us> wrote:
>
>> On Sun, Sep 03, 2017 at 01:43:13PM -0700, A. Marina Fournier wrote:
>>> On Sep 3, 2017, at 4:27 AM, adkinslawfirm at mindspring.com wrote:
>>>
>>> But, Gwynne, any test is a gift.  And any test involving you is a great gift.  It's always good to hear from you.
>>
>> Seconded--which has additional definitions.
>>
>> Also, the preprogrammed part of my brain takes off from the subject header:
>>
>> This is a test. This only a test of the Emergency Broadcast System. Repeat, this only a test. (Then long tones)
>> (somewhere in there was possibly words to the effect of "Had this been a real emergency, you would be directed to go to the nearest emergency shelter")
>>
>> Started about the time of the Cuban Missile Crisis, as it was called in the US. Can't remember when the duck & cover routine started in schools, but might have been 61/62. Don't recall it in '60, didn't happen the several months in Okinawa, and I can't recall much of anything in 2nd grade. Didn't happen school years 65-67 in Albuquerque, and I'm not sure that exercise had continued when back in CA afterwards.
>
> I remember it in the 1950s, prolly '53, '54.

I was 8 or 9 at the height of the Cuban missile crisis here in Oz.  I can remember my father watching the news about it and hearing the adults talking about it but there was nothing about it in our schools. I can remember some talk about the American schools program of duck and cover but I do remember a lot of male Aussies saying it should be called duck and kiss your A*** goodbye.
No one believed ducking under a school desk would be of any practical benefit. Anyway we wouldn't have been able to duck under our desks - they were the Victorian two seaters that had ornate wrought iron legs that held the desk and flip down seat,  they were made out of heavy polished pine. If you dropped a pencil you could only get it out by swiping at it with a ruler. They had the old ceramic ink pots that sat in holes cut in the desk ( the boy who sat behind me always stuffed the ends of my platinum blonde plaits in his inkwell.

Helen