[LMB] words for voices

Katherine Collett kcollett at hamilton.edu
Wed Sep 6 23:46:01 BST 2017

Yes, though in choirs, they usually just say alto.  And as Ursula said:
> If all the parts are not used, you'll see choirs divided in parts in relation to each other, not based strictly on range.  So the first split in women's parts will generally be labeled soprano/alto, the first split in men's would be tenor/bass, and the other names used to fill in as needed as parts continue to divide.
> So a mixed choir would be in unison, men's/women's, soprano/alto/tenor/bass, soprano (or soprano 1)/mezzo-soprano (soprano 2)/alto/tenor (tenor 1)/ baritone (tenor 2)/bass.
> For five part harmony, (as often mentioned in the five gods books) I'd probably expect the women's voices to divide before the men's - most choirs in our world tend to have more women than men.  So it would be a soprano 1, soprano 2, alto, tenor, bass.
> Although, since the Bastard tends to be androgynous, perhaps they'd do soprano, alto, a mixed contralto/countertenor section, tenor, and bass?

There's definitely a lot of overlap.  I'm an alto, but I can sing tenor and at least mezzo-soprano -- going by the scheme in the ranges above, I can sing from C3 to C6.  My voice teacher has me singing mostly mezzo-soprano music, but in choruses I'm usually an alto.   (My husband's a baritone, with a wider range than mine -- he can sing low bass or high tenor parts, but the quality of his voice is baritone.  My daughter's a soprano, but sings alto in some choirs because she can get the low notes (and can read music really well).  And my sons are a tenor and a bass, which is really useful when we all get together!)

Katherine