[LMB] You're going to the Vorkosiverse. What do you want to get while you're there?

Marc Wilson marc.wilson at gmx.co.uk
Wed Sep 13 09:56:53 BST 2017

On Tue, 12 Sep 2017 20:32:42 -0500, Eric Oppen <ravenclaweric at gmail.com>
wrote:

>Let us say that you're on a trip to the Vorkosiverse.  You can visit any
>planet mentioned in-canon, and have a large stash of spending money.  What
>do you want to look for in the stores and elsewhere?
>
>Me. I'd first want to visit some of the medical clinics and get some
>problems cleared up, like my weight, this damn tendon in my left arm that
>WILL not heal up, and my eyesight.  Then I'd hit the bookstores, to see if
>George RR Martin and Scott Lynch _ever_ finished their series.  After that,
>I'd want to get some books on how gravity control works, since that would
>oopen up the whole solar system to the human race _toute-suite._
>
>What about you all?  Any ideas?

That's a pretty good start, right there.  Mind you, I don't know if I
have the tech knowledge to deal with the gravity control stuff, but
perhaps it could be passed to those better skilled.

I'd be very tempted to bring a stunner back; perhaps *too* tempted. That
too-loud idiot on the train....
--
"Many futorologists write as if current progress can be extraplolated indefinitely -
the fallacy of climbing trees  to get to the moon." (Steven Pinker)