[LMB] OT: Great Heartedness -- Authors you love who have fallen out of fashion

B. Ross Ashley brashley46 at gmail.com
Fri Sep 15 03:55:43 BST 2017

I'll admit it, I have been a fan of the recently deceased William Sanders
for a long time. Although I cannot really describe him as "fallen out of
fashion"; other than the 1997 and 2002 Sidewise Awards, short form, he was
more notorious than fashionable. But he was one king-hell writer. If any of
you can get hold of a copy of his story "The Undiscovered" - looking at a
Shakespeare who was transported to Virginia and stranded among Sanders' own
Cherokee ancestors, you will see a take on "Hamlet" that you might never
otherwise have considered. (It's in Gardner Dozois' BEST OF THE BEST
anthology, 2005.) And his historical enquiry CONQUEST: Hernando de Soto and
the Indian:, 1539-1943, is frankly a masterpiece of polemic against an
idiot "historian" now long forgotten.

Other than William? Austin Tappan Wright, of ISLANDIA. Thomas Burnett
Swann. Branch Cabell, of course.

--
B. Ross Ashley