[LMB] Ekaterin on her own

Gwynne Powell gwynnepowell at hotmail.com
Sun Sep 17 13:20:13 BST 2017

On Sep 11, 2017, at 3:08 PM, Sylvia McIvers <sylviamcivers at gmail.com> wrote:
> Why -almost-??? Becasue there's no illness until it's officially diagnosed?
> Many abused women have symptoms of PTSD, to the astonishment of the people
> who did the research.  "they weren't in a war, why are they displaying
> these signs?"

Gwynne: '...almost...' was because I don't like to throw diagnoses around unless they
have some sort of official standing. Way too often people look at behaviour and slap a
label on it when there's been no real tests or professional examination done. (This is
mostly a hangover from my work. Some people found it way to easy to label a kid and
then not have to deal with their real problems.) Yes, Ekaterin went through a long,
grinding, difficult time. She obviously has issues to deal with, behaviours to unlearn
and responses to change. She seems to recover pretty quickly, though, and with no
professional assistance, so she may have had damage on the PTSD spectrum. maybe
at the milder end, or she could have carried some other kind of trauma, or she could
just have been really tired and miserable and had a lot of bad habits to overcome.
It's open to discussion. I'm not a professional in that field, but I thought that PTSD was a
bit more challenging during recovery, and took a lot longer than it seems to for her.