[LMB] Ekaterin on her own

Karen Hunt huntkc at gmail.com
Sun Sep 17 13:27:54 BST 2017

On Sun, Sep 17, 2017 at 8:20 AM, Gwynne Powell <gwynnepowell at hotmail.com>
wrote:

> > On Mon, Sep 11, 2017 at 1:06 PM, Gwynne Powell <gwynnepowell at hotmail.com
> >
> > wrote:
> >> So, Ekaterin has started her widowhood. And she's decompressing from
> being
> >> married to Tien for so long - it's almost like PTSD, she has to relearn
>
> On Sep 11, 2017, at 3:08 PM, Sylvia McIvers <sylviamcivers at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > Why -almost-??? Becasue there's no illness until it's officially
> diagnosed?
> > Many abused women have symptoms of PTSD, to the astonishment of the
> people
> > who did the research.  "they weren't in a war, why are they displaying
> > these signs?"
>
> Gwynne: '...almost...' was because I don't like to throw diagnoses around
> unless they
> have some sort of official standing. Way too often people look at
> behaviour and slap a
> label on it when there's been no real tests or professional examination
> done. (This is
> mostly a hangover from my work. Some people found it way to easy to label
> a kid and
> then not have to deal with their real problems.) Yes, Ekaterin went
> through a long,
> grinding, difficult time. She obviously has issues to deal with,
> behaviours to unlearn
> and responses to change. She seems to recover pretty quickly, though, and
> with no
> professional assistance, so she may have had damage on the PTSD spectrum.
> maybe
> at the milder end, or she could have carried some other kind of trauma, or
> she could
> just have been really tired and miserable and had a lot of bad habits to
> overcome.
> It's open to discussion. I'm not a professional in that field, but I
> thought that PTSD was a
> bit more challenging during recovery, and took a lot longer than it seems
> to for her.

It's useful to remember that we're not seeing her thoughts and emotions
that much. She's very good at the reserved, show no emotion, face.

There are signs that she's experiencing worse troubles than she's been
letting on. Here's one such from the early part of Winterfair Gifts:

"How is Madame Vorsoisson holding up?" Roic inquired diffidently. He had
been wondering for two days if he ought to report the crying jag to
someone, but m'lady-to-be had surely not realized her muffled breakdown in
one of Vorkosigan House's back corridors had included a hastily-retreating
witness.

Karen Hunt