[LMB] OT: Great Heartedness -- Authors you love who have fallen out of fashion

Gwynne Powell gwynnepowell at hotmail.com
Sun Sep 17 14:25:08 BST 2017

From: Sylvia McIvers <sylviamcivers at gmail.com>

I will have to mention children's authors Edith Nesbit & Edward Eager. Time
traveling children!  Fun times, great adventures.
Sylvia

Gwynne: If you're adding children's books - the Green Knowe series, by Lucy M Boston,
is marvellous.

I also find detective fiction fascinating, it often shows a lot more insight and detail about
daily life at the time - some of Ellis Peter's books written just after WWII show a lot more
about life and attitudes at the times than some of the histories I've read.

Some other kids books that go deep are The Nargun and the Stars, and The Ice is Coming,
by Patricia Wrightson. Issues of race and belonging, expectations, and obligations, but in
stories that stay with you.

Darn it, now I'm thinking about great books I used to love, and trying to remember titles
and authors.