[LMB] OT: R.A. MacAvoy

A. Marina Fournier saffronrose at me.com
Mon Sep 18 02:18:36 BST 2017

A. Marina Fournier
Saffronrose at me.com
> On Sep 17, 2017, at 5:09 PM, Jim Parish <jparish at siue.edu> wrote:
>  My particular favorite MacAvoy is _Damiano_, first of a trilogy. (The first is superb, the second - _Damiano's Lute_ - merely very good, the third (_Raphael_)... let's just say I no longer have it.

I read the trilogy happily, but recall nothing of it now.

Pierre Bensusan, who I'd seen in concert and by whom I was amazed, is the model for the original covers.

It is difficult to adequately describe his music, but chamber jazz almost hits it. For good likenesses of him at the time Damiano was published, check out the album •Pierre 2•, which may have been done by the same artist as the book covers', and the cover of the DVD, *Pierre Bensusan in Concert*.

I had noticed the strong resemblance, and asked Bertie about it. Yes, he was the model, and yes, he had stayed with them a while.

He was touring CA in the late '90's, the month friends of ours were getting married in Pasadena. Couldn't catch the Bay Area show, because we had to drive south, but we were able to stay one more night in Pasadena so we could hear him (McCabe's, Santa Monica?). I kno

The next day, we took a stop at the bottom of Tejon Pass aka the Grapevine (on the northern side of pass), on our way home.

I was just leaving the ladies' room when I saw this tall fellow with a halo of black curls, walking away very quickly. I called out his first name, and by gosh it was him. He was on his way to a gig in Bakersfield, one of the last towns I expected him to play: one sole secular bookstore at the time, but great Basque food (huge tracts of sheep pasture, imported Basque shepherds).

He'll be at the Freight & Salvage in Berkeley this month, on the 27th, and at Don Quixote's in Felton on the 28th. No car, me no go.

Between San Jose and Fremont, the southern terminus of BART in the East Bay, there is no real mass transit, and getting home would be even more full of imponderables; I could get to Felton, but afterwards, public transit to San Jose may be unavailable. Feh.

If any of you enjoy his music, https://www.pierrebensusan.com/tour
will have his current tour stop plans.

A. Marina Fournier
Saffronrose at me.com