[LMB] Ekaterin on her own

Gwynne Powell gwynnepowell at hotmail.com
Mon Sep 18 03:49:43 BST 2017

From: Pat Mathews <MATHEWS55 at msn.com>

The thing is, with the Vor being a closed caste - they're not making any new Vor - a system of equivalencies has quietly grown up. I quote (from memory, so only an approximation) "No twice-twenty man with his service record need give second place to anyone Vor."
If they were truly a warrior caste and not an aristocracy, Illyan and Jole would have been taken into the Vor long ago. Certainly after serving as long as they did.

Gwynne: Working from my (patchy and creakingly unreliable) memory, ex-military are
given many of the privileges of Vor; the Vor get into the museum at Castle Vorhartung
for free, and so, I think, to long-serving military. They also get similar preference for
post-service jobs. They don't get the hereditary aspect, though.

I wonder if Gregor will open the Vor and start adding to them - it'd be one way to lessen
their influence, by spreading it. I can't see him being able to abolish them, they cling to
that syllable way too strongly. But the barriers are falling - Drou sits in for Alys when
necessary at the Residence, and that's accepted. Non-Vor are preferred to run ImpSec,
and to replace Desplains; a lot of the highest and most influential positions go by
preference to non-Vor. The Auditors are a mix of Vor and Prole, and nobody seems to
have any problems with that.