[LMB] Build your own Emperor

Katherine Collett kcollett at hamilton.edu
Thu Sep 21 13:27:35 BST 2017

On Sep 20, 2017, at 6:51 PM, Corrina Lawson <corrinaannelawson at gmail.com> wrote:

> The nurture part of it seems quite important, at least for Gregor. Ezar
> perhaps neglected Serg/was busy and, well, perhaps it was a mental illness
> on Serg's part, perhaps not.
>
> Gregor was raised by Kareen, Kou (to some extent), and then Cordelia and
> Aral until he was 12. He seems to feel as if they are his parents since
> they took that place for his wedding. Gregor seems to have learned good
> lessons.

I agree that nurture is very important, but what sort of nurture produces what sort of character seems variable.  As soon as I saw this subject line I thought of Maia in The Goblin Emperor (by Katherine Addison; highly recommended!), who had a horrendous childhood as the rejected half-blood son of the Emperor.  Throughout the book we see him growing into his unexpected job as Emperor.

Of course, speculating about the results of gene-tweaking vs. nurture based on fictional lives seems, er, lacking in scientific rigor?

Katherine