[LMB] Build your own Emperor

M R Dolbear fm little.egret at dolbear.fastmail.fm
Thu Sep 21 20:40:36 BST 2017

On Thu, 21 Sep 2017, at 10:48, Marc Wilson wrote:
> On Wed, 20 Sep 2017 21:01:16 -0600, Howard Brazee <howard at brazee.net>
> wrote:
>
> >An interesting tradition is to pass the rule to the the king’s sister’s kid.   That improves the chance of the king’s genes being passed.
>
> I'm sure I've heard of tribes where that happens?

Lots of them

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matrilineal_succession

Similarly, inheritance patterns for men in matrilineal societies often
reflect the importance of the mother's brother. For example, in the
Ashanti Kingdom of Central Ghana, a king traditionally passes his title
and status on to his sister's son.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iroquois#Women_in_society

The children of the marriage belong to their mother's clan and gain
their social status through hers. Her brothers are important teachers
and mentors to the children, especially introducing boys to men's roles
and societies. The clans are matrilineal, that is, clan ties are traced
through the mother's line. If a couple separated, the woman
traditionally kept the children.[155] The chief of a clan can be removed
at any time by a council of the women elders of that clan. The chief's
sister was responsible for nominating his successor.[155] It was
regarded as incest by the Iroquois to marry within one's matrilineal
clan, but it was considered acceptable to marry someone from the same
patrilineal clan.

In Fiction, see The Two Georges by Harry Turtledove.

"Motherhood is a matter of fact, Fatherhood a matter of opinion", so a
Mother's sister's son is the nearest male relative who is reliably
related.

--
Little Egret by email
Michael Dolbear in Walton-on-Thames