[LMB] Build your own Emperor

A. Marina Fournier saffronrose at me.com
Thu Sep 21 23:38:45 BST 2017

On Sep 21, 2017, at 12:40 PM, M R Dolbear fm <little.egret at dolbear.fastmail.fm> wrote:

> It was regarded as incest by the Iroquois to marry within one's matrilineal clan, but it was considered acceptable to marry someone from the same patrilineal clan.

Same for the Navajo. One introduces oneself to another Diné by (of mother's clan), (born to father's clan). ISTR that there is uneasiness with the idea of a male and female, adolescent and later, of the same mother's clan spending time together, however platonic or innocent.

Women traditionally own real property. A male knows he's in trouble if he finds his belongings flung outside the hogan or other dwelling.

> In Fiction, see The Two Georges by Harry Turtledove.
>
> "Motherhood is a matter of fact, Fatherhood a matter of opinion", so a Mother's sister's son is the nearest male relative who is reliably related.

Exactly.

A. Marina Fournier
Saffronrose at me.com