[LMB] OT: Social structures, was Build your own Emperor

Howard Brazee howard at brazee.net
Sun Sep 24 16:17:31 BST 2017

> On Sep 24, 2017, at 9:06 AM, Damien Sullivan <phoenix at mindstalk.net> wrote:
>
> On Fri, Sep 22, 2017 at 06:31:27AM +0000, Gwynne Powell wrote:
>>
>>> From the discussion about matrilineal societies, a few ponderings....
>>
>> You can have matrilineal - people stay in their birth clan, no in-law problems, no problems
>> with paternity issues or legitimacy. Inheritance tracks through the female line, uncles to sisters'
>> sons. Simple, few chances for problems.
>
> Why not mother to daughter?

That works in some matrilineal societies - where women are in charge.   But since men are bigger and stronger, they tend to dominate when they are around instead of off warring and such.

I once read a summary of an interesting paper.   The writers noticed that lots of temples in the Mediterranean had been to goddesses, but changed to gods.   They charted when this happened, and found that it happened when literacy moved to the areas with the temples.   This could indicate that before we had written down laws, the gender that was better at negotiating had more power.