[LMB] OT: Social structures, was Build your own Emperor

baur baur baur at chello.at
Thu Sep 28 10:34:04 BST 2017

>     "A. Marina Fournier" <saffronrose at me.com> hat am 28. September 2017 um
> 08:54 geschrieben:
>

>     On Sep 27, 2017, at 06:42 PM, Gwynne Powell <gwynnepowell at hotmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>     Gwynne: Totally agree! I love history, especially particular periods or
> cultures,
>     and I find it almost impossible to read books set in those times. That's
> one of
>     the big pluses for fantasy and SF, for me - the rules are whatever the
> writer
>     says, so I don't spend the whole book muttering '...but no woman would
> say/do
>     that in THAT culture, it wouldn't even be considered! And THAT was against
> the
>     law... and that's not a concept they even thought about....' By which time
> I've
>     lost all sympathy with the characters.
>
>     Marina:
>
>     Wallbangers.
>     The electronic equivalent for me is a folder marked Never Buy This Author
> Again.
>
>     If I can't connect well to the characters, I'm not going to continue
> reading the book--especially if there are other impediments in the way, such a
> complete lack of attention to grammar, or internal consistency.
>
>     My favorite example of a wallbanger was a short story, allegedly set in
> the Regency Period of England. The lead female is at a ball. Suddenly she's
> dancing to the Blue Danube Waltz. There is no space station in sight.
>
>     •late 19th C., not early 19th C.
>
>     •composer's parents haven't even met yet, and perhaps not even born yet.
> They themselves may not yet have been a twinkle in a parent's eye yet.

composers parents might have met - johann strauss sen. was 16 at the end of the
regency period 8) and he this most definitely was born - johann strauss jun.
(the composer) was born in 1825 .. "An der schönen blauen Donau" was written end
of 1866

>     • If you're going to dance to that music, which is a waltz-*time* tune,
> not an actual tune for a waltz, it has to be carefully choreographed as a set
> piece, due to the tempo fluctuations. Yeah, I tried it. Once only.

you CAN dance to it 8) - both partners have to know the piece pretty well, top
know the tempi changes - and it helps if the ball room is so much filled that
everyone can basically just sway in place (the classic Vienna Opera Ball
syndrome)

Servus

markus