[LMB] Culture

Gwynne Powell gwynnepowell at hotmail.com
Fri Sep 29 06:05:34 BST 2017

From: Eric Oppen <ravenclaweric at gmail.com>

When I hear people talk about the Barrayaran "Greekies" I have visions of
those people holding strange rites:
"Thank you sir can I have another?"
"To-GA!  To-GA!  To-GA!"
"The Cetagandans have landed!  All is lost!"
"Lost?  Nothing is lost till WE say it is lost!  Was it lost when---when
the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?"
"Germans?"
"Forget it---he's rolling!"
"What this invasion needs is a really stupid and futile gesture from
someone!  And we're JUST THE GUYS TO DO IT!  HOOAH!"
--Eric, recovering from surgery and thinking that if he introduced
Barrayaran high society to the toga party, he'd be a hero to the Vor
lords---and on their wives' and daughters' death list.

Gwynne: Eric, just what drugs did they give you in hospital? I have an
operation soon, and I want whatever they gave you.