[LMB] OT: Social structures, was Build your own Emperor

Gwynne Powell gwynnepowell at hotmail.com
Fri Sep 29 15:09:29 BST 2017

From: Harvey Fishman <fishman at panix.com>

On Fri, 29 Sep 2017, Gwynne Powell wrote:
> Gwynne: Exactly. Authors should at least try to make it sound right, not to give
> their own bias to the character. That's when it jars so much, for me.

But is that not usually the author's reason for writing in the first place -
to express their own viewpoint with the characters being the vehicles?
Harvey

Gwynne: Yes, it is. But the author has total control over their choices of setting,
plot and characters, so if it jars and is completely inappropriate for the setting
then they've made poor choices, or expressed themselves badly. It's still their
fault for writing something that makes me yell at the page.