[LMB] Jeeves and Ba and Rish and By

M R Dolbear fm little.egret at dolbear.fastmail.fm
Wed Feb 7 21:43:25 GMT 2018

On Wed, 7 Feb 2018, at 17:17, pouncer at aol.com wrote:

> Hi all,
>

> I think this has been hashed over before but
> I missed most of it.  So I start it up again.
>

> - Morozov (sp?) tells Ivan that Jeeves are
> gene-engineered to be loyal.  Nature driving
> Nuture.  This override to free will seems
> weird to contemporary ears but after all,
> it's how bee hives work.  "I will lay down my
> life (and genetic future)  to ensure the life
> of two sisters, four cousins, or improved
> odds for the hive at large".

Ahem.

(for mammals, the genetics of bees being different)

. J.B.S. Haldane fully grasped the basic quantities and considerations in kin selection, famously writing "I would lay down my life for two brothers or eight cousins".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kin_selection

--
Little Egret by email
Michael Dolbear in Walton-on-Thames