[LMB] ot: romance novels & subversion

Katherine Collett kcollett at hamilton.edu
Thu Feb 8 00:00:10 GMT 2018

On Feb 7, 2018, at 8:31 AM, adkinslawfirm at mindspring.com wrote:

> https://www.buzzfeed.com/jaimegreen/who-gets-a-happily-ever-after-in-2018-romance-novels
>
> I enjoyed this analysis & conversations with authors.  Y'all might, too.

Very interesting article.  I'm not sure why it made me think of this, which is somewhat tangential ... but it starts with romance, anyway.  When I read Magic and Manners, by C.E. Murphy, an AU Pride and Prejudice with magic, I was enjoying the author's handling of the romance genre, with just the extra complication of magic (the taint of magic, frowned upon in the gentry and upper classes, pretty much takes the place of the social and economic reasons for Darcy's disdain for the Bennets in the original).  But then ... remember Lois's statement, "If romances are fantasies of love, and mysteries are fantasies of justice, I would now describe most F&SF as fantasies of political agency"?  So, I loved the successful melding of genres when it became clear that Murphy was going to have her heroines Save the World as well achieve romantic bliss.

Katherine