[LMB] romance novels & subversion & saving the world

M. Haller Yamada thefabmadamem at yahoo.com
Thu Feb 8 05:08:22 GMT 2018

Oh, that's an interesting train of thought, Katherine.

Saving the world is always bigger to me. For example, if there were a uranium jewel (LOL) that
was powering all of the malices in the world, and our heroes went out to destroy that, that
would be Saving the World.

The local version is local. Killing all the malices in the area saves our characters' world,
really. And it's not quite fair that it doesn't "count" as saving the world, because it's
harder, and there's less motivation in that there's no End Date for the project. You've got to
save the local world again, and again, and again. And, as the techniques are refined and
disseminated, maybe future fictional historians will be able to point back and say, "OK, this
is the era where Fawn and Dag saved the world." But I don't know if the characters themselves
are quite aware they are saving the world. (Although they do recognize bigger things than their
local area.)

Saving the World for me is just some project with an End Date or Final Goal. And to tell the
truth, it often is a lot more artificial and stupid than the "save us" plot. It's harder to
base it in reality.

Fictional stakes also fit into this argument somehow. StW is definitely the highest stakes
EVAH. But, it can be boring, because we don't care about the world. We care (or don't care, if
the writer is faulty) about Jim and Sue and Yoko.

Micki