[LMB] Jeeves and Ba and Rish and By

M. Haller Yamada thefabmadamem at yahoo.com
Thu Feb 8 05:17:05 GMT 2018

Pouncer writes (in full; my thoughts at ***)
Hi all,

I think this has been hashed over before but
I missed most of it.  So I start it up again.

During the "Let's Make a Deal" mutual
interrogation at Ivan's Komarran apartment, Rish only partly answers
By's question about whether or not she is a Jeeves.
To put together info not explicitly
stated, we learn that

- Rish is about a decade older than Tej --
Tej's baby-sitter.

- All the Jewels as well as Tej's older
sisters were genetically hand-crafted. Tej is
the only "natural" in the bunch, a gift to
Shiv ("DaDa")

-- That crafting included a whole LOT of haut
genes from Granma and the Baronne
specifically;  as well as haut techniques to
arrive at the desired results. The Jewels may
be inferred to be about as close family to
the parents as are the Star Creche ba to
Rian.

- It is presumed here, and a theme in Bujold
canon generally, that gene-level attractions
and genetic "reasoning" drive behavioral events.
Mark, a stranger to Cordelia, is the product of her
own genes and those of the man in all the Nexus
she found most fascinating.  Tej finds her loins warming
as her immune system reacts to the scent of Ivan - let's do
biology together and make wonderful new antibodies.
(or just wonderful new bodies, in general) Love is, in
part, as much good biology as "good chemistry". In
literature, at least.

- Morozov (sp?) tells Ivan that Jeeves are
gene-engineered to be loyal.  Nature driving
Nuture.  This override to free will seems
weird to contemporary ears but after all,
it's how bee hives work.  "I will lay down my
life (and genetic future)  to ensure the life
of two sisters, four cousins, or improved
odds for the hive at large".

- So the Jewels at birth are READY to be
Jeeve'd.

- When Tej was six years old, there was an
attempted assassination

- After that scare, the Baronne discontinued
the psych-conditioning program that (unspoken)
HAD been used with the Jewels.

So Rish and Jet have had somewhat less
Jeeves-conditioning than Pearl etc.
Now comes the question that interests me -
Does Rish have a reproductive drive on her
own behalf, or is she genetically and (at
least partly) pyscho-conditioned to expect
other sibs to carry the genetic legacy on?
Whether or not she has reproductive motives -
would the Jewels have been crafted as fertile
offspring or mules?

Does it matter, given uterine replicators and gene-spliced gamates?

Have By and Rish discussed having (or not) having kids?

How would By react to having a kid pre-disposed to favor behaviors
not inclined to the interests of Barrayar? To having children born
into a form of service apart from any choice of his or theirs?

*** Micki: I think it's entirely possible that altruistic people are altruistic about all
other people (and maybe animals and quite possibly inanimate objects as well). So, if there
is a trigger to make people altruistic for a certain group, it'd have to be nurture. Or very
byzantine, everyone who smells like Ivan is more worthy than I. (Or the haut, for that
matter.)

What an interesting story it could be, if the kids have to avoid all haut for fear of being
triggered into an altruism allergy . . . . And which would overwhelm? The genetic trigger, or
the triggers formed by nurture? Could go either way, really.