[LMB] Sharing Knife: Affinity and piglet-farmers

Agnes Charrel-Berthillier agnes at charrel.net
Tue Feb 13 18:00:41 GMT 2018

On 2/13/18 07:50, Douglas Weinfield wrote:
> Initially, Dag notes that the ground lacks affinity, so he gives it some, and the ground lock breaks--spectcularly.
>
> But earlier, Dar had commented, and it seemed to be widely accepted, that farmer's grounds can't teach mortality to malices, just like animal grounds can't.
>
> That seems like a contradiction! I'm guessing that maybe the earlier sharing knifes made with farmer's sounds were made improperly? Of the patrollers didn't have enough ground sense to add the affinity needed?

I would go for patrollers didn't have enough groundsense to add the
affinity, squared. What Dag does on the fly is unmake the knife and
reshape its payload using two sources instead of one (his affinity + the
fetus's mortality, rather than have mortality and affinity come from the
same Lakewalker donor).

This raises the interesting question of whether a knife maker could
package the same configuration (add his own affinity, ready to be
combined) into a knife, or whether this could only with the maker
present to provide the affinity at the time the death occurs and the
knife catches the mortality (which would greatly reduce the value of the
technique). But whether or not that would work, I doubt anybody but a
very skilled knifemaker (or maybe even only a groundsetter) could do
what Dag did, and those people are definitely not sent in the field to
stick knives into malices.

Agnes