[LMB] Sharing Knife: Affinity and piglet-farmers

Lois Bujold lbujold at myinfmail.com
Tue Feb 13 19:10:35 GMT 2018

[LMB] Sharing Knife: Affinity and piglet-farmers
Thomas Shaw topaz0 at gmail.com
Tue Feb 13 18:57:07 GMT 2018

 > On 2/13/18 07:50, Douglas Weinfield wrote:
 >
 >> Initially, Dag notes that the ground lacks affinity, so he gives it
some,
 >> and the ground lock breaks--spectcularly.
 >>
 >> But earlier, Dar had commented, and it seemed to be widely accepted,
that
 >> farmer's grounds can't teach mortality to malices, just like animal
grounds
 >> can't.
 >>
 >> That seems like a contradiction! I'm guessing that maybe the earlier
 >> sharing knifes made with farmer's grounds were made improperly? Of the
 >> patrollers didn't have enough ground sense to add the affinity needed?

TS:  When I read that, I wondered if it was just a matter of prejudice, i.e.
lakewalkers had just assumed lowly farmer ground couldn't be effective, and
nobody investigated for the same reason nobody investigated whether farmer
grounds could make marriage braids.

LMB:  Well, that, and it would require the Lakewalker maker, or someone,
to stick a knife in a farmer's heart, which would be seen as a murder.
With understandable social knock-on effects.

Keep in mind that priming a knife is at best an assisted suicide, at
least a human sacrifice.

Ta, L.