[LMB] Ethan

Kevin Kennedy kevink45 at hotmail.com
Fri Feb 16 15:54:18 GMT 2018

I just reread Ethan of Athos, and I'm wondering something. Ethan has done a required stint in the army, his baby brother is in an army band and may stay past his required 2 years. Why does Athos have an army?  It's a single society on the planet, there's nobody to squabble with. Were the Founders worrying about needing to suppress religious dissent on or something, sometime? With no ships they're not going to go invading & coveriting anyone.  Why have an army?  Sure, some sort of service organization for disaster relief, public works projects, terraforming, whatever, but why military?