[LMB] ot: romance novels & subversion

Gwynne Powell gwynnepowell at hotmail.com
Sat Feb 24 10:46:14 GMT 2018

From: Rachel <anglerfish at gmail.com>

> Are there any romance writers in the real world who deliberately distort
> actual history?  (As opposed to all those who merely get it wrong, I'm sure
> there are myriads of those.)
> Mat G.

Rachel:
I just watched the TV show Reign about Mary Queen of Scots and there appear
to be a whole host of romances that are entirely made up, and alterations
made to history for drama.
I enjoyed the show though. Lots of strong female characters.

Gwynne:
Just about every historical TV show and movie have innacuracies, ranging from
minor to excruciating. Most historical novels are the same - anything from small
glitches to just plain inexcusable. I don't read historical fiction, it's bad for me, I
get too angry. I tend to cope with historical movies and TV shows by telling myself
it's an alternate universe.