[LMB] Currently reading: Ada Palmer, _Too Like the Lightnings_

Tony Zbaraschuk tonyz at eskimo.com
Sun Jan 7 21:08:29 GMT 2018

Just about to embark on my second re-read this week of Ada Palmer's _Too
Like the Lightnings_.  Exquisite stuff, very lavish worldbuilding and
amazing characters, plus a lot of stuff hidden in plain sight until you
hit the reveals later in the book (which is why I'm re-reading it a third
time only a week after publication.  There are two sequels, the next of
which is on order.)

Really, this is good, good stuff.  Fans of Gene Wolfe will probably like
it a lot, as will anyone who likes the intersection of future law,
hypersonic cars, high political thrillers, and nuns in brothels, with a
good dose of mystery and wonder thrown in.  (Part of me wants to put this
somewhere in Bujold's universe; there's elements that would fit really
well in Vor infighting or maybe on a baroque version of Beta Colony.)
Really, I can't describe it at all well; my brain is still reeling from
(say) one character's real name, another character's past deeds, and some
revelations near the end that make one rethink everything and really
really want the next book to arrive soon.

In short: highly highly recommended.

(Also: the author's blog, exurbe.com, is fascinating stuff.  Machiavelli,
Hobbes, the Borgias, the game of Spot That Saint, and many other things.)

--
Et vocavit Deus, "Fiat lux!"