[LMB] OT: Book rec needed

Tony Zbaraschuk tonyz at eskimo.com
Tue Jan 9 14:12:22 GMT 2018

On Tue, January 9, 2018 6:55 am, Stewart Dean wrote:
> Another Alaska read is McPhee's Coning into the Country. /Everything/
> McPhee writes is solid gold, engaging,
> understandable and full of insight...from the history of Switzerland and
> its self-defense force to story of oranges and orange juice in Fl to birch
> bark canoes to.....  He even makes geology interesting with his Basin
> and Range series about the Great Plains and mountains of America --

Second McPhee -- he is a great writer.  And _Basin and Range_ is one of
four volumes on the geology of North America.  (_Rising from the Plains_,
_Assembling California_, and I forget the name of the East Coast one;
they were all published in an omnibus edition a few years ago with
additional material.)

Tony Z

--
Et vocavit Deus, "Fiat lux!"