[LMB] OT: Book rec needed

Raye Johnsen raye_j at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 9 22:44:38 GMT 2018

I think the thing to remember with the Alaskan Royal series is that they're also a reworking of fairytales. "The Royal Treatment" is a redo of Cinderella, "The Royal Pain" is a redux of The Princess Who Couldn't Smile (with penguins instead of a goose - we won't talk about how there are no native penguins in Alaska), and I haven't read the third one so I'm not sure which fairytale it is (although given the heroine is an illegitimate princess-slash-wilderness guide and the hero is a bodyguard, it could be The Six Swans, or Red Riding Hood, or maybe Snow White where Snow likes the Huntsman back?). But if you view them that way, a lot of the flaws match the flaws in the fairytales.
Raye

Sent from Yahoo7 Mail on Android

  On Wed, 10 Jan. 2018 at 4:52 am, adkinslawfirm at mindspring.com<adkinslawfirm at mindspring.com> wrote:   If we're also recommending Alaska alternate history, don't forget MaryJanice Davidson's Alaskan Royal series.  The first one, _The Royal Treatment_, is excellent.  The sequels are less so, but still enjoyable.

Jerrie
Lois-Bujold mailing list message sent to raye_j at yahoo.com
Lois-Bujold at lists.herald.co.uk