[LMB] OT: Hawksmoor by Peter Ackroyd

John Lennard john.c.lennard at gmail.com
Wed Jan 10 19:57:26 GMT 2018

Micki: Sooooo, the first book on the list of the David Bowie Memorial
Bookclub is Hawksmoor. I think my daughter is getting me a copy and sending
it over. Is anyone else reading it?

John: Not just now, but I have read it. Odd and interesting, very
atmospheric, and good history. Ackroyd is not altogether a likeable man,
for a variety of reasons, and his potted biography of T S Eliot is a waste
of time, but he really does know his London history very seriously and
makes all sorts of intriguing connections.

Associate Member & Director of Studies in English, Hughes Hall, Cambridge
www.humanities-ebooks.co.uk

*Mock-Death in Shakespeare's Plays*
The first full study of Shakespeare's favourite dramatic device

*The Exasperating Case of David Weber, or The Slow Death of The Honorverse*
22 years ago Weber created it and in the last ten he has broken it ...

*Tolkien's Triumph: The Strange History of *The Lord of the Rings
Just how did a 1000-page book with 6 appendices come to sell 8,500 copies
per day?

*Talking Sense About *Fifty Shades of Grey*, or Fanfiction, Feminism, and
BDSM*
The story the media *isn't* telling ...

Available from Kindle Stores, and in PDF from the author.