[LMB] OT: Hawksmoor by Peter Ackroyd

M. Haller Yamada thefabmadamem at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 11 05:01:44 GMT 2018

________________________________

Micki: Sooooo, the first book on the list of the David Bowie Memorial

Bookclub is Hawksmoor. I think my daughter is getting me a copy and sending

it over. Is anyone else reading it?

John: Not just now, but I have read it. Odd and interesting, very

atmospheric, and good history. Ackroyd is not altogether a likeable man,

for a variety of reasons, and his potted biography of T S Eliot is a waste

of time, but he really does know his London history very seriously and

makes all sorts of intriguing connections.

--

Micki: Well, I hope it gets here soon, then.

BTW, I think I'm slowly getting over my artists vs. art complex. I finally re-read the two Alice in
Wonderland books, and enjoyed them very much.

Ackroyd doesn't have to be likeable -- I was worried that Hawksmoor is going to be very unlikeable.
I don't think it's going to be a cozy read by any means, but I do like history, and the magic seems
to be interesting, at least in the first few paragraphs I read. I just hope it's not a messy
dystopia with no redeeming qualities.