[LMB] Levels of Bafflement

M. Haller Yamada thefabmadamem at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 15 00:45:57 GMT 2018

________________________________
I'm finding the discussion fascinating.

I would also lay a stress on WE; not so much to make it sound like I'm distinguishing WE from anyone
else, but it has more stress than "have" and the "ad" in advanced. It's got as much stress as the
VANCED part, in my speech.

I think if I were saying "WE, vs. anyone else, have advanced" I'd have to underline and capitalize
it, and possibly add another e to the "We" -- and if I'm not mistaken, that kind of "we" is up a
pitch or two.

Scansion always drove me crazy in school. We were not exposed to a lot of poetry, but we got plenty
of exposure to songs, and quite a bit more education in note values, dynamics, etc. I remember the
first time I ran into problems -- my teacher tried to tell seven-year-old me that "wheel" was only
one syllable. I still don't quite believe her, LOL, but I buy into the common fantasy that it is.

Just wanted to add that in some dictionaries, there is one stress mark for the primary stress, and a
second one stress mark (backwards?) to mark the secondary stress in a polysyllabic word. I can't
find an example, but it's like the word impossible. POS is primarily stressed, while BLE is stronger
than the "si", but weaker than POS. Atomica is another word that follows the same pattern.

I only tend to recognize that stuff in limericks, and, well, you've seen my limericks. Hit and miss.

There once was an impossible phrase

That we analyzed for days and for days.

We lengthened some vowels

And crammed in some towels