[LMB] AKICOT: L writer's resources

Deborah Dempsey deborahsdempsey at gmail.com
Tue Jan 16 15:07:10 GMT 2018

A wonderful book about children in 1850ish Philadelphia: "Thee Hannah" by
Marguerite de Angeli.  Quaker family, internal conflict in daughter, aged
about 10, over strictures of Quaker dress, practice, etc.  Wonderful
illustrations of Old City, good moments in school, etc.  Also consider
"Little Women."  It's set in New England, but details of girls' lives,
schooling, etc., pretty dead-on since Bronson Alcott founded a school in
Germantown, near Philadelphia (then).