[LMB] Levels of Bafflement

Katherine Collett kcollett at hamilton.edu
Wed Jan 17 22:09:50 GMT 2018

On Jan 14, 2018, at 8:15 AM, John Lennard <john.c.lennard at gmail.com> wrote:

> John: Can go either way. If you stress "I" in "I don't know" or "I couldn't
> say", there may well be an implication that someone else knows or could
> say. And in, oh, "I have to say ..." or "I have to go" or even "I have an
> appointment", I would be at least mildly surprised to find no stress on
> 'have'.

I agree with Margaret that I would put the stress on the "we": WE have adVANCED to NEW and surPRISing LEVels of
BAFFlement.  The difference between "have" in the sentences you suggest and in Lois's sentence is that "have" in "I have to say", "I have an appointment", etc., is the actual verb.  In "We have advanced" "advanced" is the verb, "have" is just an auxiliary (making it present perfect?).  Thus you would expect to find "have" stressed in one situation, and not in the other.

Katherine