[LMB] OT: book recommendation

M R Dolbear fm little.egret at dolbear.fastmail.fm
Thu Jan 18 00:25:41 GMT 2018

On Wed, 17 Jan 2018, at 20:56, Jean Lamb wrote:
> I strongly recommend reading AN EXCESS MALE by Maggie Shen King (it's $1.99
> on Amazon/US, don't know the prices anywhere else). It's a heartbreaking and
> chilling look at a possible solution for 40 million excess men created by
> the one-child policy. Let's just say that men have to have the dowries now.
> The world building is excellent, as you have technological progress being
> used by a Chinese government which hasn't actually changed a whole lot, and
> the lives of four people which are all wrapped up in one marriage. Well,
> sort of. Oh, please just go read it, it's good!

Thanks.

I do point out that the question of what do you do with several million young men in a society dominated by the old and with little opportunity has confronted the rulers of China throughout most of the last five hundred years.

That is excess males and practically all the females married.

--
Little Egret by email
Michael Dolbear in Walton-on-Thames