[LMB] Levels of Bafflement

M. Haller Yamada thefabmadamem at yahoo.com
Fri Jan 19 02:01:04 GMT 2018

 Thinking along the same lines as Marc, as often is the case. (-: The etymology for "pyrrhic"
certainly puts a different spin on "pyrrhic victory" -- unless it was some sort of fire dance.

Tangential, but ti-ti seems somewhat like a crackle of fire, while TUM-TUM more like the sound  of
water or wine glugging into a glass. (Not just Tangential, but tangents of tangents.) (Thanks again, John.)

Well, everyone, keep your eyes out for roving meters, and be sure to take a snapshot and report them
here for the next couple of weeks!

Here's a very interesting discussion about meter, linking Emily Dickinson's poetry to the meter of
hymns (there we go again, trying to link meter to music!).

https://poemshape.wordpress.com/2009/01/18/emily-dickinson-iambic-meter-and-rhyme/

One thing that sticks out: you've got to know the conventions in order to subvert and exploit them.

It's possible to do some subversion from a natural "feeling" sort of standpoint, but I think there's a
lot more trial and error. Whereas, if you both know AND feel in your bones the meter, you can play all
sorts of experimental tricks from the theoretical standpoint, and see what works in the "in the
bones" position.

Micki