[LMB] Thought for the day

Robert Woodward robertaw at drizzle.com
Mon Jan 22 21:10:31 GMT 2018

> On Jan 22, 2018, at 12:02 PM, Fred Smith <fredex at fcshome.stoneham.ma.us> wrote:
>
> On Mon, Jan 22, 2018 at 05:36:30PM +0000, Kevin Kennedy wrote:
>> My NESFA Press copy of Ethan of Athos is 199 pgs of text, the Subterranean Press copy of Penric's Mission is 250 pgs of text. What's the word count on these two, that the shorter one is a novel, the longer is a novella. Or did the definition change in the last thirty years, since novels have been running longer in recent years?
>
> Smaller pages? Larger type? Wider margins?

I have both and have just compared them. NESFA’S edition of _Ethan of Athos_ has pages about 1/4" higher than the pages in the Subterranean Press's edition of _Penric’s Mission_. All 4 margins in the latter are wider. The typeface in the later is also larger. Thus, the answer to your questions is Yes.

Robert Woodward robertaw at drizzle.com