[LMB] Thought for the day

Walter S Bushell proto at panix.com
Thu Jan 25 12:47:54 GMT 2018

> On Jan 22, 2018, at 5:39 PM, Mieke <mvanspanje at home.nl> wrote:
>
> In my school (netherlands)we were teached that not only the number of words are important for a book being called novel or novella.
> More important is the complexity of a novel, number of persons and plotlines in it.
> A novelle is more simple, few persons, and simple plotline.
> Mieke

That’s proper. Butt commercial considerations make word count an easier and objective distinction.
I suppose some book buyers factor bulk into decisions about which book to buy. And you can’t really
have subjective evaluations about whether the author has submitted a novella or a novel.

The Penric stories, for example, have too many characters just in Penric to for them to be
novelles, by literary criteria.
Vilhjalmur Stefansson (1879 - 1962), "Discovery", 1964