[LMB] Barrayaran badges of rank

Karen Hunt huntkc at gmail.com
Sat Jan 27 13:01:26 GMT 2018

On Sat, Jan 27, 2018 at 7:15 AM, Sharon Micenko <wembleyware at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Good evening everyone,
> I’ve been immersed in the Vorkosigan saga for some time and I’m trying to
> work out the Imperial service ranks. I get it that it’s a mixed service and
> if you get ship duty naval ranks are used but ground forces use army ranks.
> it’s the colours that are puzzling me. So, it’s pale blue for Ensigns, red
> for lieutenants, blue for captains (is that just ground forces?) and yellow
> for admirals. There do seem to be some missing, eg Lieutenant commanders,
> commanders, majors and colonels. Anyone have a fuller list than me? Thanks
> for any comments.
>
> Oh, and I’m guessing that cadets would be white like they are everywhere
> else.

Yes cadets are white cloth (we see that in The Mountains of Mourning, when
Miles is setting up his memorial offering at Piotr's grave).

About 1/4 of the way down a very long article, you can find a table of the
rank markings that have been seen in the Saga:
http://vorkosigan.wikia.com/wiki/Barrayaran_Imperial_Service under Ranks.

And indeed it is incomplete. Looks like you have all the tabs seen besides
cadet, though.

Karen Hunt