[LMB] Barrayaran badges of rank

M R Dolbear fm little.egret at dolbear.fastmail.fm
Sat Jan 27 16:34:35 GMT 2018

On Sat, 27 Jan 2018, at 13:10, Karen Hunt wrote:
> On Sat, Jan 27, 2018 at 8:01 AM, Karen Hunt <huntkc at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > On Sat, Jan 27, 2018 at 7:15 AM, Sharon Micenko <wembleyware at gmail.com>
> > wrote:
> >
> >> Good evening everyone,
> >> I’ve been immersed in the Vorkosigan saga for some time and I’m trying to
> >> work out the Imperial service ranks. I get it that it’s a mixed service and
> >> if you get ship duty naval ranks are used but ground forces use army ranks.
> >> it’s the colours that are puzzling me. So, it’s pale blue for Ensigns, red
> >> for lieutenants, blue for captains (is that just ground forces?) and yellow
> >> for admirals. There do seem to be some missing, eg Lieutenant commanders,
> >> commanders, majors and colonels. Anyone have a fuller list than me? Thanks
> >> for any comments.
> >>
> >> Oh, and I’m guessing that cadets would be white like they are everywhere
> >> else.
> >>

> > Yes cadets are white cloth (we see that in The Mountains of Mourning, when
> > Miles is setting up his memorial offering at Piotr's grave).
> >
> > About 1/4 of the way down a very long article, you can find a table of the
> > rank markings that have been seen in the Saga:
> > http://vorkosigan.wikia.com/wiki/Barrayaran_Imperial_Service under Ranks.
> >
> > And indeed it is incomplete. Looks like you have all the tabs seen besides
> > cadet, though.
> >

> Coming in with a second post. If you've been doing researchy reading, as it
> sounds, perhaps you'd like to look over some relevant articles in the wikia
> and add tweaks? I've put together a pretty full site (there are still holes
> for content from Gentleman Jole. I'm slow at filling them in because I'm
> only slowly regaining energy after a very difficult several years of time.)

Look at the archives, eg

http://lists.herald.co.uk/pipermail/lois-bujold/2006-January.txt

and search (Ctrl F) for commodore

> > Ensign, Lieutenant, {Commander} Captain, Commodore, Rear
> > Admiral, Vice Admiral.

> Excluding SoH and Barrayar, ie in the books that cover Miles's service in
> the integrated service, there is texev only for {as above}

The General Vorkraft was pre integrated service. The new era & "new
regulations" probably removed some officer ranks.

--
Little Egret by email
Michael Dolbear in Walton-on-Thames