[LMB] Disability mindset

John Heim john at johnheim.com
Mon Jul 9 22:18:17 BST 2018

On 07/09/2018 03:26 PM, Sylvia McIvers wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 5, 2018 at 2:26 PM, Jack Heim <john at johnheim.com> wrote:
>
>> I just am amazed that a non-disabled person like LMB could write a
>> character that shows how being a little crazy can help you deal with your
>> disability.  I think it's fair to say that Miles suffers from a couple of
>> compulsions: First, to make people not see him as disabled and second, to
>> keep going no matter what.
>>
> What an interesting insight.

Thanks but I'm not sure that qualifies as an insight. LMB was pretty
direct in saying that Miles's manic nature is due to his unwillingness
to register as disabled (as someone on this list put it).

The more I think about it, the more remarkable this seems. I'm blind but
I really hate being seen as a blind person. I don't mind people
recognizing it, obviously, that would be stupid. I just don't want to be
a blind guy first. Everybody's identity is over-simplified by the people
around them. You're stuffed into a category -- blind guy, black guy,
tomboy, old person. I used to be skinny nerdy guy. Now I'm blind guy.
Miles doesn't want to be short, brittle-bones guy.

Like I said, I don't consider that an insight on my part. It is stated
several times in the Vorkosigan saga. I am just saying its an amazing
thing for a non-disabled author to pick up on.

> Also, welcome to the list!
Thanks again.

PS: Trying to post in line. Does not sound right to me. Hope it looks right.