[LMB] They're Alive

M. Haller Yamada thefabmadamem at yahoo.com
Wed Jul 11 07:43:35 BST 2018

I mostly read about the rescues on the Guardian and the BBC websites. There were also some nice pieces on Associated Press in
particular. There was a great article on The Australian, but they only allow a few (one?) article before they want you to sign up and pay
them money (which I can't fault them for, but they aren't my first choice for paid journalism).

The headlines were all over the place, and the "time released" notices; sometimes something would say it was released six hours ago,
but would mention an event that happened 30 minutes ago. The BBC also first reported that five children had been saved when it was
only four.

It's extremely sad that Saman Kunan died, but his widow mentioned that he loved helping people and getting things done. If one has to
go, doing what you like doing is a good way to go, as far as these things go.

Things could have been so much worse; all the people who worked together, as a team, across languages and cultures. Simply amazing.
And the Guardian reports that the pumps failed a few hours after the last boy had been evacuated. It's amazing that the pros were able to
get out. Apparently, they had to leave a lot of equipment behind.

I'm a horrible person, but what I'd like to do is dynamite the narrow passages (from afar). If the cave collapses, so be it. Nobody will go
further and get trapped again. If it works, though, there'd be a bigger passage and people could use the caves more freely. Yeah, I know,
it's not nice to mess with Mother Nature's arrangements like that. It'd probably have nasty consequences.

Walter asked about why this situation happened in the first place.

I have to say, I don't really blame the coach. We talk about the prevalence of helicopter parenting and all of that stuff. I'm sure the coach
was thinking this would be a great birthday adventure -- they were no strangers to the caves, and they had a week before the caves were
to be closed. One of the kids who weren't trapped said that when you are in the caves, you don't know whether or not it's raining outside.
This went horribly, horribly wrong, and at least one grandparent is going to be a helicopter grandparent and keep his grandchild from
visiting any more caves (or so it was reported). But there are risks, and there are risks. I worry about the coach. The guilt must be terribly
overwhelming; I am sure he meant the absolute best by taking the kids in there.

It reminds me of the end of Barrayar, when Cordelia basically says they have given up trying to protect Miles, and now just try to manage
the risks, and teach him how to manage the risks.

I hope the kids will be resilient, and able to learn more things and still partake in boyish adventures without worrying about things going
horribly wrong. I wish the same for the coach.

Just some thoughts, cobbled together in a hurry. The event has certainly given me a lot to think about over the past several days.

Micki