[LMB] One More Vorkosigan Book

Jack Heim john at johnheim.com
Fri Jul 13 15:09:51 BST 2018

I've always felt that when you create something for public consumption,
like a fictional character or even a computer program, you have a kind
of obligation to the consumers of the product. People have a right to
offer opinions anyway but especially about things they helped popularize.

In that spirit, I am going to say that I hope LMB writes one more (at
least) book in the Vorkosigan series because I think the Miles character
is incomplete.

What I think is missing is him becoming an inspiration to others. I
anticipate others on this list saying, "That's ubiquitous in the books
already." But I don't think so. I think it is only implied and only as a
side-effect. You don't see people saying, "Miles isn't here. What would
he do?" Or better yet, "I sure wish Miles was here. Well, he's not, I
guess I better do something." Of still better, "If Miles can do it, I
guess I can." I feel that without that last chapter, the character will
have "died" incomplete.

I'd like to see a book where Miles challenges the people around him to
be better. Stop looking to me for miracles. I am not always going to be
here. On your feet, soldier!