[LMB] Terraforming

alayne at twobikes.ottawa.on.ca alayne at twobikes.ottawa.on.ca
Mon Jun 4 19:06:16 BST 2018

On Sun, 3 Jun 2018, catherine muir wrote:
> However all of these assume we want to live outside on the surface. If
> instead we built floating cities with an oxygen atmosphere and hence
> lighter than the surrounding atmosphere, these could move with the
> winds. Any oxy or water waste could go towards the longer term objective
> but give us a habitat meantime.

A few years ago, I heard a presentation by a well known scientist/SF
writer (I think it was Geoffrey Landis, but I could be wrong) at a
Worldcon positing a possible way of colonizing Venus. He essentially
suggested floating arcologies to be placed in an section of Venus'
atmosphere that was more habitable (less hot and windy). It sounded
possible, certainly more possible than any other solution.

Alayne

--
Alayne McGregor
alayne at twobikes.ottawa.on.ca

"As a writer you’re always surprised when you think of the right note or the right word.
You think, 'Oh, I didn’t know I could — oh, that’s good!' You know, writing’s full of
surprises for oneself." - Stephen Sondheim, T Magazine, October 16, 2017,
interviewed by Lin-Manuel Miranda