[LMB] Vashnoi goes live

Matthew George matt.msg at gmail.com
Mon Jun 4 21:10:31 BST 2018

On Mon, May 28, 2018 at 8:43 AM, Howard Brazee <howard at brazee.net> wrote:

> Dead Tree books are already the equivalent of a DRM’d book.  I cannot make
> backups of them at a reasonable cost.

Ah, but the reason for backups is archiving.  And that's easy with a book.
Books can also be loaned easily, and cannot be altered or edited by the
seller or author.  Digital stuff with DRM is 'licensed' not owned, can't be
archived, can't be loaned, and in some cases can be retroactively altered
by the seller.  And removing the DRM is technically illegal.

I've succumbed and bought some things that I can't get any other way, but
I'm thinking of setting a policy against that.

Matt G.