[LMB] SP: Finished "The Flowers of Vashnoi"

Matthew George matt.msg at gmail.com
Mon Jun 11 22:20:55 BST 2018

Don't forget those spoiler spaces!

spoilers

My one complaint is that, due to its brevity, the newly-introduced
characters have plenty of characterization, but the previously-established
ones have surprisingly little.  (Even Ekaterin, who's the viewpoint
narrator for the piece, spends most of her time painting the scene for
us.)  I found it striking - "Winterfair Gifts" actually spent far more time
on characterization than this did, even the characters who have a long
history.  (Roic gets a whole lot because we'd never previously dealt with
him in any degree.)  Enrique has either developed a great deal, or is
nearly unrecognizable in the story.

Note, please, that this is my ONE complaint.  And it's a small one.  Of
course, I wanted it to be longer, but that's not a failure of the piece,
just a manifestation of my ceaseless hunger for Bujold work.  Which, for
everyone's sanity, is best ignored.

Which of the potential creeping horrors in particular did you wish to
discuss?  There are so many, and horror so subjective, that I'm not sure
precisely which ones touched you.

Matt G.

spoilers
spoilers