[LMB] Years, Chalionese and otherwise

Jim Parish jparish at siue.edu
Mon Jun 18 00:47:38 BST 2018

I just ran across the following passage in _The Curse of Chalion_:

"... the Bastard's Day, that intercalary holiday inserted every two
years after Mother's Midsummer to prevent the calendar's precessing from
its proper seasons."

In our world, the solar year differs from an even number of days by a
little less than a quarter of a day. Apparently in the 5GU, the
difference is closer to half a day.

Not that anything much follows from that, but I hadn't noticed it before.

Sidenote: is there any reference, in the 5GU books, to an analogue of
the week? The day, month, and year are based on astronomical realities,
but the week is wholly artificial (and different cultures have had
week-analogues ranging from four to ten days). Has anybody noticed?

Jim Parish