[LMB] Years, Chalionese and otherwise

A. Marina Fournier saffronrose at me.com
Thu Jun 21 23:47:58 BST 2018

> On Jun 17, 2018, at 4:59 PM, Karen Hunt <huntkc at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Sun, Jun 17, 2018 at 7:47 PM, Jim Parish <jparish at siue.edu> wrote:
>>
>> I just ran across the following passage in _The Curse of Chalion_:
>>
>> "... the Bastard's Day, that intercalary holiday inserted every two years
>> after Mother's Midsummer to prevent the calendar's precessing from its
>> proper seasons."
>>
>> In our world, the solar year differs from an even number of days by a
>> little less than a quarter of a day. Apparently in the 5GU, the difference
>> is closer to half a day.
>>
>> Not that anything much follows from that, but I hadn't noticed it before.

Neither had I. Hmm...

>> Sidenote: is there any reference, in the 5GU books, to an analogue of the
>> week? The day, month, and year are based on astronomical realities, but the
>> week is wholly artificial (and different cultures have had week-analogues
>> ranging from four to ten days). Has anybody noticed?

Not that I can recall, and I reread the series again last month, enjoying it far more than I had originally.

Karen, I think:
>> I know of quarter-day services in The Hallowed Hunt, but I don't know whether they signify a 4-day week (not surprising, one for each god other than the Bastard) or something else.

A quarter-day, at least in British parlance, marks a quarter of the year, or three months, rather than segments of four days.

A. Marina Fournier
Valley of Heart’s Delight, CA
saffronrose at me.com
sent from iFionnghuala