[LMB] Years, Chalionese and otherwise

Marc Wilson marc.wilson at gmx.co.uk
Fri Jun 22 01:16:08 BST 2018

On Thu, 21 Jun 2018 16:56:31 -0600, Howard Brazee <howard at brazee.net>
wrote:

>> On Jun 21, 2018, at 4:47 PM, A. Marina Fournier <saffronrose at me.com> wrote:
>>
>> Karen, I think:
>>
>> A quarter-day, at least in British parlance, marks a quarter of the year, or three months, rather than segments of four days.
>
>Interesting.   I never would have guessed that definition.   In the U.S., we would call that a quarter-year.

No, it's the day at the end of a quarter.  Traditionally, rents and
taxes were due on quarter-days.  When days were taken out of the
calendar to align it with the Gregorian calendar, the quarter-days
effectively moved (because nobody was going to pay their taxes and rents
11 days early, right?) - so the UK tax year now ends on April 5th, not
March 21st.
--
"We are the Borg. Your life, as it has been, is now over.
We shall assimilate your cultural, biological, and technological