[LMB] Monogamy

Lois Bujold lbujold at myinfmail.com
Sat Jun 23 20:29:32 BST 2018

[LMB] Monogamy
Joel Polowin jpolowin at hotmail.com
Sat Jun 23 17:20:58 BST 2018

Luke Bretscher <rocketman0739 at gmail.com> wrote:
 > I may of course have missed things, but I don't recall the Jole
 > relationship getting much setup in earlier books. If it turns out I'm
 > not missing things, that would be my one quibble--not that there's
 > anything wrong with the relationship per se, but that it comes off as
 > a bit retrofitted.

Joel:  My reaction was much the same: "Huh, didn't see *that* coming."  As a
non-poly person in a mostly-non-poly society (though on the fringes of
a couple of poly social circles), it's possible that my expectations /
biases were limiting my perceptions.  Was that relationship a surprise
to the poly folk on the list?

And perhaps being slightly crass: Lois, was that relationship a thing
you had planned before you started developing _Gentleman Joel_?

LMB:  Some of that is addressed in this interview:

https://www.goodreads.com/interviews/show/1101.Lois_McMaster_Bujold

Short answer: it was potential since 1989 but not planned till 2012.

Ta, L.