[LMB] Monogamy

A. Marina Fournier saffronrose at me.com
Mon Jun 25 23:13:52 BST 2018

> On Jun 25, 2018, at 10:41 AM, Eric Oppen <ravenclaweric at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> I am aware of it.  I often choose to rework well-known quotes for extra
> emphasis or to make them fit what I want to say.

As one ought! We certainly do enough of that here, Chez Bejeeber.

Then again, I insist on the phrase being:
Gilding the gold, or painting the lily.

What's the origin of the phrase 'Gild the lily'?
Shakespeare didn't coin the term 'gild the lily', but he came as close to doing so in King John, 1595:

SALISBURY:
Therefore, to be possess'd with double pomp,
To guard a title that was rich before,
To gild refined gold, to paint the lily,
To throw a perfume on the violet,
To smooth the ice, or add another hue
Unto the rainbow, or with taper-light
To seek the beauteous eye of heaven to garnish,
Is wasteful and ridiculous excess.

The first citation [found] for 'gild the lily' comes from the USA, in the Newark Daily Advocate, 1895, in what appears to be a half-remembered version of Shakespeare:

"One may gild the lily and paint the rose, but to convey by words only an adequate idea of the hats and bonnets now exhibited absolutely passes human ability."
https://www.phrases.org.uk/meanings/gild-the-lily.html

A. Marina Fournier
Valley of Heart’s Delight, CA
saffronrose at me.com