[LMB] Monogamy

A. Marina Fournier saffronrose at me.com
Thu Jun 28 23:10:13 BST 2018

On Jun 28, 2018, at 2:54 PM, Marc Wilson <marc.wilson at gmx.co.uk> wrote:

> On Thu, 28 Jun 2018 21:30:22 +0800, Sharon Micenko
> <wembleyware at gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> Jelly yesterday doesn’t sound quite as good, does it?
>
> Especially not to English ears, where it's quite a different thing (what
> Americans call Jello, we call jelly).
>
> There are also some preserves sold as "jelly", but they're different
> from jam: jam normally has perceptible bits of fruit in, rather than
> just being a clear jelly.

I learned that from either the first Poldark, the Duchess of Duke Street, or some perod cookbook. They were difficult to do right, as with aspics.

Took me a while to discover that, in the UK “extra jam” were, in the US,  jam or preserves.

A. Marina Fournier
Valley of Heart’s Delight, CA
saffronrose at me.com
sent from iFionnghuala